Sunday, November 20, 2011

Learning All The Time

Usually I prepare materials for the week on the weekend. As soon as I am finished one of them will want to work with the material right away. So this weekend I just involved them in the process. One of the things that I been wanting to make were the bead bars for multiplication work for now. I wanted to make them a bit fancy, but kept putting it off. Well two children made them for me using pony beads and pipe cleaners.


The bead arrows are in the envelopes. After cutting the arrows apart and making the beads bars they had a really nice math lesson, and figured out the direct aim of this material on their own:)


They joined me and put the finishing touches on dinner.

                                                         Slicing eggs for the salad


              Ken took care of cooking the garlic bread.

    
After dinner they got cleaned up and laid their clothes out for tomorrow and saw me looking at this book..
                                                                                  
 and decided it was time to start the project.




I finished a quick sewing project for the preschoolers that DJ also took interest in.



I finally completed this work that I hope will help them to remember how to spell words that they often forget, and to record new words that they need my assistance in spelling. I just taped pockets to a corkboard, and put a library card in each pocket that they can record the word on. This is something that I want them to reference before asking me for assistance.                                                                               

                                                                           
 By the way Michelle was taking all the pictures this is her new gig now. She is going to try her hand at photography. The only picture I took was the last one and of the book.  I am linking this post to Montessori Monday hosted by One Hook Wonder and Living Montessori Now.                                                                          
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

4 comments:

  1. I love when work is part of daily life with fun projects and learning thrown in as your post shows. I feel it truly brings Montessori and homeschooling together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that!!a lifestyle of learning.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have your children involved in material making! And it's awesome that Michelle is taking the photos! True Montessori at work! Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the beads! I am scared about making them myself, but it looks like your simpler way is doable. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Your Comments Are Greatly Appreciated!!