Monday, December 10, 2012

Daily Report: Don't Give Up!!



After trying my hand at using the Montessori Method as a self trained individual things are finally clicking for me. I share this not because we are having perfect days with this, just in hopes that others who are giving this method a go hear some encouraging words along the way. The best advice I would give would be " Don't Give Up". There are plenty of times that I have doubted that this method wasn't the best way for my children to learn then I would order a supplemental curriculum to convince myself that they are still learning while I test this method out. Over and Over again once I gave the supplemental material a go I would then see my children drawn to the Montessori materials and then within days they would have their light bulb moments.

"The teacher, when she begins work in our schools, must have a kind of faith that the child will reveal himself through work". -Maria Montessori, The Absorbent Mind

My children have shown me in many ways that the philosophy of the Montessori Method is what they makes them click and work hard. It is difficult sometimes to make materials that may go untouched!!
                                                                           
It can be down right frustrating making materials while watching the work go untouched.
                                                                           
                                                                             
But when I am able to keep the faith, look inwardly and prepare the environment things start to shine.

                                                                                 
         And work gets done!


                                                             writing in their planners


                                                                      Division Bead Board                                                        

Seriously before implementing the Montessori Method I don't recall that my children took a piece of work and made it more than just a worksheet to be completed.

                           
 Today the kids did some research on the Menorah not because they were told to do it, it was their own idea and they were curious to learn more.

Well let me be quite honest here, the environment had a lot to do with it:)
 They were intrigued by this practical life tray on the shelves.

I still have a ways to go to learn this beautiful method and I won't be satisfied until I am formally trained. But for now I'll take any small wins because my children wouldn't have it any other way.                                                            
                                                                                                                                       

3 comments:

  1. What a terrific group of holiday and Montessori activities, great ideas for older children! The children looked so focused! And I love the personal notes you put in your posts! Thanks for linking to the holiday hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could tell you how true yours words are, and how many times I have had these thoughts myself. I am watching things unfold for Xander everyday, and they never do because I want them to.... it's because when and if.... he is ready for them :) Thank you for sharing these thoughts:)

    ReplyDelete

Your Comments Are Greatly Appreciated!!